You May Want to think Twice Before Grabbing That Chair
I bet you never thought “the chair” could be a deadly weapon against your health. Well, you may want to think twice before “copping a sit” for hours on end in front of that television, computer or iphone.
Here are a few facts and statistics as to why:
- Sitting for extended periods of time can raise the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease and premature death, even for people who meet their daily exercise requirements recommended by health professionals.
- If you sit for more than 3 hours each day, your risk for kidney disease increases.
- Sitting too long can cause what is called “nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.” Yuck!
- Sitting for more than 6 hours a day raises your risk of death, even if you workout! For men, 6 hour a day sitters who exercise increase their death rate another 18% higher than those who sit under 3 hours a day. For women, 6 Hour a day sitters who exercise are 37% more likely to die over 14 years then those who sit less than 3 hours a day. Holy Smokes! If that isn’t incentive to get off that tush, I don’t know what is!
- Every hour you sit in front of the T.V. your life expectancy is slashed by 22 minutes.
- Watching T.V. for 6 hours a day can take 5 years off your life! Is there anything good enough on television to watch for 6 hours anyway?
What if I am not watching television for 6 hours a day, but I have to sit all day at a computer and desk? Is it all hopeless for me? No…there is good news for those of you who do sit at work daily and that good news is this.
Interrupting long periods of sitting with as little as 2 minute breaks doing some light or moderate activity such as…
- walking around
- getting up from your desk and moving
- going for a walk at lunch
…helps control glucose and insulin levels. In addition, you will provide better circulation and help in preventing chronic joint and muscle pain from simply sitting all day every day. That’s right…sitting can cause pain and body issues along with internal health issues! Now that alone is worth getting up and moving!
Stay out of the Death Trap and cut your risk factor for mortality by moving off and away from the chair. It will add years to your life and keep you far healthier in the long run…And…it just may keep that “derriere” from expanding as well!
Need more incentive and motivation to get off that chair and move? Come join the AVC Elite Training Crew by not only getting in top notch physical condition, but extending your life keeping disease and illness at bay.