They are nothing fancy and nothing new….The good old Stair Case!
Stair climbing has been around for quite some time, but yet most people don’t think of the stairs as being a great form of training or a workout, rather the thought is to bypass the stairs and take the escalator or elevator instead. What a missed opportunity in gaining some total body fitness! In addition, intentionally incorporating some stair climbing training into your workout or training routine, will only make you that much stronger and efficient in more ways than one!
10 Reasons Why Stair Climbing Is A Great Total Body Workout:
- Stair Climbing includes the entire body taxing the cardiovascular system which means increased heart rate which translates into improving the cardiovascular system.
- Stair Climbing strengthens, tones and shapes the lower body, including the glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves.
- Stair Climbing is a great way to blast a maximum number of calories in a short amount of time.
- Stair Climbing is “Free” with just about everyone being able to access a good hearty set of stairs.
- Stair Climbing can be intense (depending on how you attack them) engaging the body’s largest muscles. Visualize yourself having to lift your entire body weight up step after step depending on your muscles to lift you….More difficult then running!
- Stair climbing is a weight bearing activity since you are lifting your own body. This translates into building bone strength.
- Stair Climbing can be used in a progression…. Meaning it can be made more advanced in challenging yourself by “mixing it up” such as taking 2 stairs or more at a time and/or incorporating some running with the stairs.
- Stair Climbing can be done by almost anyone whether it’s the elite athlete or the general fitness enthusiast. There are no age or gender limitations.
- Stair Climbing is Low Impact which makes it a great form of cross training.
- Climbing Stairs is a fantastic Core Strengthener which is the epicenter of our physical fitness.
The next time you opt for taking the escalator with those stairs sitting right next to it, you may want to reconsider. Taking the stairs anytime the opportunity lends itself will only be in your favor.
AND…If you want a great form of cross training that’s both challenging, giving you an overall total body blast, and it’s FUN, try incorporating a Stair Climbing workout into your fitness routine or training. Discover for yourself just how great this challenge can enhance your overall physical conditioning.
Want to give some Stair Climbing Training a try?
Come Join Team AVC as a “drop in” while we continue to get in TOP Stair Climbing Shape preparing for the Bisbee 1000 2015!
See you on the Stairs!