They are nothing fancy and nothing new….The good old Stair Case!
Stair climbing has been around for quite some time, but yet most people don’t think of the stairs as being a great form of training or a workout, rather the thought is to bypass the stairs and take the escalator or elevator instead. What a missed opportunity in gaining some total body fitness! In addition, intentionally incorporating some stair climbing training into your workout or training routine, will only make you that much stronger and efficient in more ways than one!
10 Reasons Why Stair Climbing Is A Great Total Body Workout:
- Stair Climbing includes the entire body taxing the cardiovascular system which means increased heart rate which translates into improving the cardiovascular system.
- Stair Climbing strengthens, tones and shapes the lower body, including the glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves.
- Stair Climbing is a great way to blast a maximum number of calories in a short amount of time.
- Stair Climbing is “Free” with just about everyone being able to access a good hearty set of stairs.
- Stair Climbing can be intense (depending on how you attack them) engaging the body’s largest muscles. Visualize yourself having to lift your entire body weight up step after step depending on your muscles to lift you….More difficult then running!
- Stair climbing is a weight bearing activity since you are lifting your own body. This translates into building bone strength.
- Stair Climbing can be used in a progression…. Meaning it can be made more advanced in challenging yourself by “mixing it up” such as taking 2 stairs or more at a time and/or incorporating some running with the stairs.
- Stair Climbing can be done by almost anyone whether it’s the elite athlete or the general fitness enthusiast. There are no age or gender limitations.
- Stair Climbing is Low Impact which makes it a great form of cross training.
- Climbing Stairs is a fantastic Core Strengthener which is the epicenter of our physical fitness.
The next time you opt for taking the escalator with those stairs sitting right next to it, you may want to reconsider. Taking the stairs anytime the opportunity lends itself will only be in your favor.
AND…If you want a great form of cross training that’s both challenging, giving you an overall total body blast, and it’s FUN, try incorporating a Stair Climbing workout into your fitness routine or training. Discover for yourself just how great this challenge can enhance your overall physical conditioning.
Want to give some Stair Climbing Training a try?
Come Join Team AVC as a “drop in” while we continue to get in TOP Stair Climbing Shape preparing for the Bisbee 1000 2015!
See you on the Stairs!
You May Want to think Twice Before Grabbing That Chair
I bet you never thought “the chair” could be a deadly weapon against your health. Well, you may want to think twice before “copping a sit” for hours on end in front of that television, computer or iphone.
Here are a few facts and statistics as to why:
- Sitting for extended periods of time can raise the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease and premature death, even for people who meet their daily exercise requirements recommended by health professionals.
- If you sit for more than 3 hours each day, your risk for kidney disease increases.
- Sitting too long can cause what is called “nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.” Yuck!
- Sitting for more than 6 hours a day raises your risk of death, even if you workout! For men, 6 hour a day sitters who exercise increase their death rate another 18% higher than those who sit under 3 hours a day. For women, 6 Hour a day sitters who exercise are 37% more likely to die over 14 years then those who sit less than 3 hours a day. Holy Smokes! If that isn’t incentive to get off that tush, I don’t know what is!
- Every hour you sit in front of the T.V. your life expectancy is slashed by 22 minutes.
- Watching T.V. for 6 hours a day can take 5 years off your life! Is there anything good enough on television to watch for 6 hours anyway?
What if I am not watching television for 6 hours a day, but I have to sit all day at a computer and desk? Is it all hopeless for me? No…there is good news for those of you who do sit at work daily and that good news is this.
Interrupting long periods of sitting with as little as 2 minute breaks doing some light or moderate activity such as…
- walking around
- getting up from your desk and moving
- going for a walk at lunch
…helps control glucose and insulin levels. In addition, you will provide better circulation and help in preventing chronic joint and muscle pain from simply sitting all day every day. That’s right…sitting can cause pain and body issues along with internal health issues! Now that alone is worth getting up and moving!
Stay out of the Death Trap and cut your risk factor for mortality by moving off and away from the chair. It will add years to your life and keep you far healthier in the long run…And…it just may keep that “derriere” from expanding as well!
Need more incentive and motivation to get off that chair and move? Come join the AVC Elite Training Crew by not only getting in top notch physical condition, but extending your life keeping disease and illness at bay.
Protein + Glutamine for Award-Winning Muscle Recovery
You’ve heard me talk about why to choose Fluid Performance over other sports drinks for optimal hydration, and now it is time to talk about recovery drinks. Fluid Recovery drink mixes were the first product Fluid made back in 2006.
Fluid Recovery is a fortified recovery drink with a 4:1 carbohydrate-protein blend. The protein comes entirely from whey protein isolate (the result is lactose-free and gluten-free). Fluid Recovery also provides glutamine, electrolytes and vitamin C and contains organic vanilla and Dutch processed cocoa in the Chocolate Wave flavor.
The benefits of FLUID Recovery are numerous. Ingesting Fluid Recovery within 30 minutes of training or a strenuous workout makes a significant difference in expediting the entire recovery and hydration process.
The Five Benefits of Fluid Recovery
- Energy Restoration: Simple & Complex Carbohydrates in optimal balance replenish muscle glycogen levels after exercise training and competition.
- Muscle Repair: Whey Protein Isolate repairs damaged muscle and aids in building new lean muscle.
- Reduced Aches & Pains: L-glutamine directly fuels the immune system, aids in tissue repair, and helps to manage exercise-induced inflammation.
- Reduced Cramping: Vital electrolytes lost during exercise are replaced and help speed absorption.
- Immune System Support: Vitamin C + L-glutamine help scavenge free radicals and nourish a stressed immune system.
It’s your body, so choose wisely in what you put into it with Fluid Recovery!
Fluid Performance drink mixes are designed using all-natural ingredients to supply efficient energy, buffer lactic acid and alleviate cramps during exercise. Fluid concentrates on providing a sports drink that has less sugar and more (high quality) electrolytes than most other drinks on the market. With less sugar and additives, Fluid is easier on your stomach and easier for your body to absorb.
Fluid vs. Other Sports Drinks
Serious athletes drink sports drinks such as Fluid for the combination of maltodextrin and fructose – in that order. The combination of maltodextrin and fructose equal a complex carbohydrate.This is vital for athletes as it increases the total carbohydrate transport, creating available energy and oxidation, in turn allowing you to exercise at a higher VO2 max once glycogen stores are depleted.
Artificial sweeteners, simple sugars (e.g. evaporated cane juice) and other mystery ingredients are common in many sports drinks. Despite research proving that ingesting large amounts of sugar, artificial sweeteners and mystery ingredients can cause major intestinal problems including diarrhea and/or cramping – not good news for any athlete or exerciser. (I’m sure some of you can attest to this effect first hand!)
Many people equate good taste with an artificially high sweetness level. By contrast, Fluid tastes light with a hint of sweetness while providing quality hydration.
Fluid contains no artificial ingredients, stimulants, colors or flavors. It is 100% natural and is gluten-free and lactose-free. Fluid contains the highest quality electrolytes minus the junk that is in so many other products.
It’s your body, so choose wisely. And, drink your Fluid!
Price: $2.50 Orange Tangerine flavor Gives you a healthy blast of energy to recharge your fuel tank.
- 240mg of vital electrolytes
- 200% daily value of Vitamin C
- 2 servings/bag
- Non-GMO, soy, gluten and dairy free
Looking for more AVC Elite Training Store products? Contact Amy with product questions or to order your Bonk Breaker Energy Chews.